Legal Question in Personal Injury in New Jersey

Hypothetical Question:Can the N.J.DOC be held liable for a auto accident they were directly involved in, causing minor injury's to a person?

Asked on 11/22/15, 12:39 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Zerres Blume Forte Fried Zerres & Molinari

Thank you for your inquiry. The Department of Corrections, if negligent in the operation of one of their vehicles, may be held liable for damages surrounding injuries sustained. Should you decide to try to pursue the referenced matter individually or through a law firm, you should be aware that generally, personal injury lawsuits for an adult must be filed in New Jersey within 2 years from the time period (date) of the negligent act. However, depending upon the particular individuals and institutions involved (such as the State of New Jersey or the Department of Corrections) there are notices which have to be filed within 90 days from the date of the negligent act. As such, it is important that you immediately proceed accordingly, to ensure your interests are protected with regard to the referenced Statutes of Limitations and/or Notice of Claims requirements. Please feel free to call me or one of my partners if it is determined that the injury may be permanent and/or more significant than "minor". We will assist you in whatever way possible.

Read more
Answered on 11/23/15, 7:41 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in New Jersey