Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in New York

hi, my name is denise nielsen. I was legally seperated 30yrs ago , got divorced last year and was awarded 36k in back child support. My kids are adults now by the way. My ex husbands mother just died and he will get a big inheritance very soon. i need help in getting the 36k before he gets his inheritance check and spends or hides the money. Need it to be done asap..

ps Divorced in queens nyc... i live in queens . my ex lives in suffolk county long island ny.. thank tou

Asked on 4/23/16, 9:26 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Guy Lewit Guy Mitchell Lewit, Esq.

You have to have a judgment from the court that awarded you child support that would allow you to seize the inheritance funds if they are coming from an estate proceeding. Your fact summary does not indicate where the mother resided when she died or where the estate (if any) is being administered. Not all deceased individuals estates are administered (sometimes the property is simply taken) or result in funds being disbursed and you need to know the details before you can take steps to seize any seizable funds.

Read more
Answered on 4/23/16, 10:35 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in New York