Legal Question in Family Law in New York

I am a father of 3 in NY, recently settled a divorce to my ex of 20+ years. I am a responsible parent yet having to work many hours to make ends meet as she was a very lazy individual. I give her 1/2 of my net salary and still pay tax on all. Why is it that she can take half my money, not claim it, and still get assistance from the state while I live paycheck to paycheck and incur all the taxes?

Asked on 4/07/17, 3:39 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Carlos Gonzalez Gonzalez Legal Associates PLLC

Well, really she can't legally do that. All income should be reported including income you're giving her.

I'm unsure why you're giving half your salary as support guidelines in NY are based on the amount of children and for one child the guidelines are only 17%.

I'm not certain what you would need assistance with legally here, as there are just not very many facts posted in your question.

However, our firm regularly handles custody and support matters. Should you need to discuss your case a bit further or need to HIRE an attorney you may contact our office at 212-405-2234

Read more
Answered on 4/07/17, 11:23 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York