Legal Question in Immigration Law in New York

Hi i am a greenn card holder and i am over seas with a re entery permit now.

If i wait to return to us by end of re entery permit validation date, i will be abroad for 26 month.

Can i return to us with any problem by a valid reentery permit but mor than 2 yaers?

Asked on 4/05/17, 8:22 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

Difficult to stay what WILL happen when you re-enter, however, Customs & border Protection could give you a hard time, put you in secondary inspection, argue that you abandoned your residency, etc.

My advice is to re-enter BEFORE the re-entry permit expires. If you cannot, due to incapacitation, for instance, you need to bring documentation to prove you didn't abandon your residency in the U.S. & DON'T sign any forms giving up your greencard; ask for a hearing before an immigration judge if that happens.

Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 4/06/17, 8:29 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New York