Legal Question in Immigration Law in New York

Is my I-485 receipt enough proof of change of status to show my school so that I don't have to continue as an F-1 visa student which forces me to be enrolled as a full time student. The lady at the international student office didn't even know what an I-485 is and despite her lack of knowledge, she say's I need more documentation to show my change of status. But isn't the I-485 receipt proof that my status changed from F-1 status to I-485 pending status? Also, I already received a work authorization card and a social security card for working purposes which I'm already using. Can any help me please?

Asked on 2/16/11, 8:28 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Attorney Caro Kinsella Law Offices of Caro Kinsella

Yes the receipt notice of the I-485 shows you have changed status (this status is pending adjudication, it is not an approval). Some of my clients have experienced similar issues with F-1 as the University wants to see the approval of the I-485. However, with a letter from an attorney addressing the legal issues etc. if does compel the Universities to re-evaluate theri prior decision.

If you wish me to assist you feel free to contact me:

Caro Kinsella Esq.

Legal Professionals


Read more
Answered on 2/16/11, 8:37 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New York