Legal Question in Real Estate Law in New York

I am located in NY and I presently own a property which I sold and the buyer hasn't paid the mortgage for 5 months. Can I start a foreclosure myself or do I need a lawyer?

Asked on 6/26/17, 9:10 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Richard Bryan Richard Bryan Attorney PC

Under the US Constitution (and Amendments) you're allowed to represent yourself (be your own lawyer) in almost all legal actions. However in this case I would advise that you hire a lawyer to handle this matter. This isn't my field of practice, but I do know it's a minefield of possible mistakes which can cause you real problems.

Read more
Answered on 6/26/17, 9:13 am
Martin Posner Law Office of Martin L. Posner

You should definitely Not do this yourself. Statutory and complicated. It is something I have done for over 15 years.

Read more
Answered on 6/26/17, 9:38 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in New York