Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in New York

i have a 78 year old father with a home in PR. A younger woman is romancing him & wants to take the home. As it seems he is being taken as a fool via this long distance relationship, if he marries her, does the home go directly to her or is he able to gift it to her? As his daughter, do i have a legal right under the forced hiers provision or any other provision for that matter.

Asked on 1/24/18, 12:47 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Richard Bryan Richard Bryan Attorney PC

A lot depends on whether your father is of sound mind or whether he has any cognitive impairments. Does your father live in NY or in PR? I don't know what you mean about "long distance relationship." In any event, it's your father's house and as long as he's mentally competent and not under undue influence or duress he can do whatever he wants with the house. I don't know anything about the PR laws of forced heirship. There's a lot at stake here, as you know, and it's a mistake to rely on free internet legal advice for an issue so important. Go talk to a lawyer face to face right away.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 1/24/18, 2:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in New York