Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in New York


How can I proceed as a poor person in the Nassau, NY Surrogate? I'm not an attorney, and I haven't been able to defer a retainer pending HELOC.

(1) Is there a poor persons option for the Surrogate?

(2) If not, can I make a motion in Civil Court for relief in the Surrogate?

(3) The costs ($1,250 doubled for unknown reasons) will

exhaust my available assets for complying with a Cease and Desist

Order, or even paying the recording costs of a deed needed

to qualify for STAR exemption and senior discount on the property

tax ($16k+ liens, $10k+arrear).

I have been unable to find counsel willing to waive retainer

pending Reverse Mortgage which becomes possible following

re-titling and Cease and desist compliance.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Asked on 9/22/17, 1:59 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Richard Bryan Richard Bryan Attorney PC

Call the Public Administrator’s office and they will handle the estate.

Read more
Answered on 9/26/17, 11:39 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in New York