Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

Does my ex, who assaulted me and was charged, have the right to tell me who can be around our son.He slid it in during six hrs mediation at his lawyers office. Going back to court to amend few unreasonable items. My boy friend has 3 kids, my son loves him. He does have lot of traffic related violations like speeding, a dui in 1991...couple missed court dates and DWLS. all at least 15 yrs old...he's great with his 11 yr old daughter and my son...I am always present when he visits. Does my ex have power to order me to not see him and let him be around our son. He is an obvious positive influence on our three year old even though my ex paints him as Jessie James...just asking

Asked on 2/20/18, 1:52 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

If it is in an agreement or court order then yes, your ex can likely have that agreement or order enforced. If it is not part of a court order or formal agreement your ex can attempt to involved the court and / or whine about all he wants but that's about all he can do. He has no inherent power of his own to legally dictate who you associate with just because he is the father.

Read more
Answered on 2/21/18, 6:24 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina