Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

My husband and I are raising our grandson who is 14 years old. This is due to him and his mother (our daughter) living with us since he was born. His mother married when grandson was 7 years old. Because of the work schedule of his mother and step-father, he continued to live with us. Since he will be entering high school next year and there will be more paperwork for parent/guardian signatures, I was wondering if there was a document that his mother could sign that would give his grandfather and myself legal permission to sign his school papers, permission forms, and medical treatment forms without our being selected as guardians. We do not want to delinquish his mother's parental rights. Thanks

Asked on 4/12/18, 11:26 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

You indicated the mother is living with you as well - if so, you don't need the authority you are referring to as the mother can do that. If the mother is not also currently living with you, you need to consult with a local attorney to draft the appropriate paperwork. If you are having to take on the responsibility of raising your grandson, then you ought not be concerned about your daughter's parental rights. If for whatever reason, she in not taking responsibility for her child, then her parental rights take a backseat to who ever is caring for the child. Best of luck.

Read more
Answered on 4/13/18, 6:55 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina