Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

Need help, I live in Raleigh NC and was recently release from county lock up. I was served with child custody papers where the bio-mother gave the child to her sister. She has just moved to VA and I do not have any contact information. The bio-mother is now preg with another child. Now that I am out I cannot get anyone to response, and I just want a DNA test so I can know if the child is mine or not and take action as needed. I do not have 2.5k to give an attorney, what are my options

Asked on 12/30/13, 5:50 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Kenneth Love Ken Love Law

Either you hire an attorney or you have to file the appropriate action in court to petition for a DNA test.

Read more
Answered on 12/30/13, 6:53 pm
Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

The best course of action can be determined by one simple question. If the child is yours, do you want to be part of the child's life? If the answer is yes, follow Mr. Love's advice. If the answer is no - you shouldn't do anything. Someone will most likely track you down soon enough to establish paternity for child support purposes. Every day you can delay that happening is a day you don't have to pay support.

Read more
Answered on 12/30/13, 11:27 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina