Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

I picked my daughter up from school today to start my week with her. I ask her about her week at school/moms and how her weekend was. She told me that they went to her moms boyfriends house for a party and all his family was there and that John’s ( her moms boyfriend ) father wanted to talk to her so she went over to him and he said she needs to come to his house this summer cause he has pool, while they were talking he was grabbing her arm. She said it made her feel uncomfortable and she doesn’t trust him or even know him that well. I ask where her mother was and she said she was outside. She did not tell her mom and when I ask why she said what could she do about it.

Do I need to contact my lawyer, CPS or her mom about this?

Asked on 2/07/20, 3:48 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

What it appears you want to do is potentially libel and slander an old man of being a creepy molesterer without a shred of evidence except what your daughter has told you and based on your own description even that 'evidence' falls short with nothing more than holding her arm and making her uncomfortable. It basically comes down to how old your daughter is. If she is say around 7 maybe talk to mom about your concerns and of course tell your daughter how to make sure she is safe around him. If she is 14 or older - she can likely take care of herself. But based on your own description, this may be something to be aware of but it is likely not quite time to circle the wagons with calls to DSS and lawyers.

Read more
Answered on 2/08/20, 12:06 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina