Legal Question in Civil Litigation in North Carolina

What can I do about my ex-wife's personal belonging that are stored in my storage unit, but that she's refused to come pick up? Is this considered to be abandoned property that I can dispose of? The only things in the unit are all hers...and I want to stop paying the rent on this unit.

Asked on 7/01/18, 2:18 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Consult with a local attorney. You are likely in a bailment situation where you are required to take reasonable care of her things for some period of time but not forever. There are some steps you need to take before you can dispose of the property. For sure you have to provide her with written notice to pick up the property or risk the property being disposed of. Also, you do not have to give her the property until she has reimbursed you for the cost of storage. If she refuses to pay or pick up after notice and a certain amount of time, you can dispose of her stuff or sell it. If you opt to sell it and what you sell it for does not cover the costs of storage - you can sue in small claims for a judgment for the remainder.

Read more
Answered on 7/01/18, 2:26 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in North Carolina