Legal Question in Personal Injury in North Carolina

Hi, I have received papers from a lawyer asking for property insurance information. A man is claiming my dog knocked him off his bike as he was riding pass my parents house. He called an ambulance and the police. A police report was filed. I was not home. My parents handled the situation and gave him my information. From what we know he was not harmed and he put the chain on his bike and the deputy took him home. I have no details about what damage or injuries that was caused by my dog. My dog did not bite him. There are also no witnesses. What are the next actions I should take?

Asked on 1/23/23, 5:34 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Kirby Law Offices of John M. Kirby

As a general matter, you should probably either give him your insurance information, or report this to your insurance company. If you ignore it, then you are gambling that they will just go away. If you play this game, then they might sue you, which is their only way at that point to get to your insurance. I have had to do this in a dog-bite case. So there are different approaches here, but in general I think it's best to get your insurer involved. They deal with these things and they will know what to do. If the claim should be denied, they will do so.

Read more
Answered on 1/23/23, 6:41 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in North Carolina