Legal Question in Criminal Law in North Dakota

My ex boyfriend put a restraining order against me when we broke up. I have never been violent, but I did him I was going to kill myself. I missed the court date because was in Bismarck, ND and I live in Glendive, MT. That is 3 hours away and different time zones. I went to the wrong building. Anyway, I called and they said I could write a letter to the judge and ask to reopen the case so I could state my side. I just received a letter back from the judge that says "any request would have to be made in the form of a motion..... if Ms. Frank (myself) needs legal advice, she should contact a privately practicing attorney. The court may not serve as a legal advisor." What foes this mean and what do I need to do next to get this case reopened as it is affecting my career now and will in the future which is my main concern. Please help me.

Asked on 8/09/15, 11:14 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Ross Brandborg Brudvik Law Office

If you have any chance you need to hire a lawyer. I would guess you will be unsuccessful in reopening the case. If you want to spend the money to try you should hire a lawyer in the city or area where the restraining order was requested.

Read more
Answered on 8/12/15, 4:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in North Dakota