Legal Question in Consumer Law in Ohio

I purchased a 2010 Cadillac CTS approximately 3 weeks ago. My down payment consisted of a $500 deposit and $1500 due at signing. I paid in "cash". I received a call from the dealership today saying that they have record of the $500 deposit being paid, but cannot find where they received $1500? But yet, I signed a finance paperwork where it states that they received $2000 down payment for this vehicle and we "both" signed the contract? Now they are saying since I cannot produce a receipt for the $1500 paid, I owe them $1500 or they negate the loan and take the car back? (I could find the receipt for the $500 deposit, but cannot find a receipt for the $1500 paid, other than the contract that states they received it)

My question is simply what should I do in this situation since I cannot find the receipt for the $1500? Do I need an attorney or does it end at the signed finance contract?

Asked on 5/19/10, 10:42 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Kerpsack Robert W. Kerpsack Co., L.P.A.

I am sorry to hear about your circumstances. Unfortunately, I do not have enough information to answer your specific questions, nor will I be representing you. I urge you to consult immediately with other lawyers regarding your potential legal rights. Your local bar association may have a lawyer referral service that can provide you with the names of some lawyers near you who handle these types of matters. In the alternative, you may want to contact the Columbus Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service (telephone number 614-221-4112; web address I am sorry I cannot help you.

Bob Kerpsack

Phone: 614-766-2000

Fax: 614-766-2005

Email: [email protected]


Read more
Answered on 5/24/10, 2:37 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Ohio