Legal Question in Consumer Law in Ohio

We went to a small tv appliance repair shop to buy a lamp for our big screen tv. When we got home, the lamp would not work in our tv. We immediately called the repair shop and the owner said something else was wrong with our tv and to bring it in. We told him the light code on the tv indicated a burned out lamp and our old lamp had shattered inside (this is normal for a burned out lamp). He still insisted something else was wrong. We asked him for a refund or an exchange. He said no, he will not give refunds or exchanges. We called another repairman. He came to our house and put in another lamp. It worked. This repairman told us the first one sold us the wrong lamp. We called the first repair shop back and told him. He said to bad, your receipt says no refunds or exchanges. The lamp was $205. Can someone really sell you the wrong item and keep your money? I told him I was going to take him to court. He said go ahead, because you will lose. We are in Ohio. Thankyou.

Asked on 1/08/10, 1:49 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Harold Paddock Harold Paddock Co. LPA

Good morning. Your best approaches might be (1) contact your local Better Business Bureau to see if they can help with the problem, (2) consider Small Claims Court where you can represent yourself and the court fees are low, or (3) contact the Attorney General's Consumer Protection section to see if this shop has a track record of doing this type of practice in the past.

Read more
Answered on 1/14/10, 7:31 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Ohio