Legal Question in Entertainment Law in Ohio

My son was married a couple weeks ago. The DJ company they contracted with sent a DJ that did not perform under the agreement. He didn't dress in a suit (jeans and raggy shirt), did not play the must-play list songs, did not announce events - no one saw the cake-cutting, was told by the bride that the bouquet was being tossed from the 2nd floor, but would not allow it, hadn't bathed in days, totally blew the dollar dance - had no clue and very small contributions ... many other items. The bride feels her reception was ruined because of this. The DJ company promised a refund 3 weeks ago, but none received and no response to emails. Considered small claims court, but now considering suing for the fee plus damages. Are there legal grounds beyond the fee paid?

Asked on 6/05/12, 8:49 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Sauter Cloppert, Latanick, Sauter & Washburn

Yes. A violation of the Consumer Sales Practices Act allows the Plaintiff to claim up to $5,000 in non-economic (pain and suffering, emotional damages, embarrassment, stress, etc.) damages. The CSPA prohibits unfair or deceptive consumer sales practices. As this was a very special event for your son and his bride, I'd certainly argue that non-economic damages are very much deserved in this case.

I would be willing to discuss your case further, should you so desire. I can be reached using the contact information on my profile.

Read more
Answered on 6/05/12, 1:51 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Entertainment & Sport Law questions and answers in Ohio