Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Ohio

I am renting a condo in ohio, and about 1 month ago we found black colored mold all over a wall in the basement and on the same wall up in the dining room. I called the land lord ASAP and told him everything, he sent a plumber the next day and he fixed the leak that was causing the mold. To fix the leak he had to put a hole in the wall in the dining room which exposed even more mold. The next day another plumber guy came to look at the wall and what needed to be done to fix it. I explained to him, the plumber before him and the landlord (for the second time) that I was very concerned about the mold. Especially because both my finace and myself have had some odd medical problems that we could not figure out. My finace's were so serious we went to 2 ER's within the last few months and they could not figure out what was wrong with him. So here it is a month after I told the land lord and 2 plumbers my concerns and I still have black mold in my house and a huge hole in the dining room wall exposing even more. The wall plumber guy called about a week ago and set up a day (another week from now) to fix just the wall (not do anything about the mold except maybe bleach he said). I took it upon myself to go buy a mold testing kit and after the lad analysis found that it is toxic black mold. Now what do I do? Do I sue the land lord? Do I stop paying rent? I have researched the proper way to be rid of black mold and it seems very invovled to the point where I don't think we are going to be able to be living here while it is done. I really don't think we should be living here now! I don't know what my next step should be.

Asked on 9/26/09, 6:06 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Dan Guinn Guinn Law Firm, LLC

I am sorry about your situation. I would inform the landlord that you are moving out of the apartment due to the fact that it is inhabitable. You should not be living there while this is going on. If the landlord refuses I would sue him to get out of the lease. He can't keep you there when there is a situation like this going on and he is not fixing it in a timely fashion. I would be happy to represent you in this process.

Feel free to contact me, free of charge, at [email protected] or at 330-447-7634. I am happy to help in any way that I can.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Dan Guinn

Guinn Law Firm-"Affordable Rates, Outstanding Service"

Read more
Answered on 9/27/09, 12:34 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Ohio