Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Ohio

I am being sued by my former landlord. He is suing me for damages done to the rental property. (the said damages include :a pipe broke/froze and water was covering the first story, a drier was damaged, etc.) he is suing me for $15,000, even though the property was fixed and the landlord was re-embursed by his insurance company. His lawyer sent me something stating I must reply to the charge against me by 10/01/2009 or else further legal action will be taken. Here is the twist. Me and my boyfriend moved into the said property in 8/07, we signed a 1 year lease. However, after the 1 year lease was up, we continued to reside at the property, without ever re-signing a new lease agreement. In 10/08 me and my boyfriend split up, I moved back home with my parents and have resided here ever since.( my son recieves SSI from the Gov't. and I have proof I changed my address to reside at my parents house in 10/08) My boyfriend stayed at the rental and when he moved out is when I started recieving these letters from my landlord telling me to appear in court. I did face a judge and once he saw my proof that I no longer lived at the property when it was damaged he cleared me of all charges. Now, my landlord sent my another notice, from his lawyer, saying that even though i was not residing at the residence, I am still responsible for the damages, based upon the fact we had a 'verbal' rental agreement. I, personally, never had a verbal agreement, My boyfriend may have made that deal, but I never did. What do i do know? Should I seek legal representation?

Asked on 9/24/09, 10:51 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Dan Guinn Guinn Law Firm, LLC

You do need an attorney to represent you in this matter. The other side's attorney is going to keep sending you letters unless you have an attorney assist you. If you did not live there, and the landlord knew this, there is not a claim. They should come after you ex if any damage was done while he was living there. I am happy to assist you in this case and have a lot of experience in this area of the law.

Feel free to contact me, free of charge, at [email protected] or at 330-447-7634. I am happy to help in anyway that I can.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Dan Guinn

Guinn Law Firm-"Affordable Rates, Outstanding Service"

Read more
Answered on 9/26/09, 12:17 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Ohio