Legal Question in Personal Injury in Ohio

I bumped a car in the rear while waiting in traffic for my prom to let out it had to be less than 5 miles per hour. The only damage to my car was a bent license plate and a cracked license plate cover. The other car appeared to have no damage on it. The driver of the other car and I agreed there was no damage. I gave her my cell number and we both drove off. Two days later a policeman called me on my cell and says the driver I hit wants to file a police report. The policeman wants me to drive up to where it happened (30 miles away) and file a report and give me a ticket. The person's father I hit is now saying his car has a bent frame and is totaled (car is 14 years old). My first question is is it possible to bend a frame on a car by hitting it less than 5 miles an hour without visual damage and two do I have to drive to the scene 30 miles away and file a report and get a ticket even though the party requesting the report hasn't filed one yet and the policeman hasn't even seen both. Oh yeah, I third car in front of the one I hit stopped and also agreed that the bump couldn't have been more than 5 miles an hour and there was no visual damage and heard the conversation between both parties and how we agreed that everything looked OK.

Asked on 5/19/10, 11:22 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Kerpsack Robert W. Kerpsack Co., L.P.A.

I am sorry to hear about your circumstances. Unfortunately, based upon the available facts, I will not be representing you. I urge you to immediately advise your motor vehicle liability insurance company about the occurrence. I also urge you to consult immediately with a traffic or criminal law attorney regarding your potential legal rights. Your local bar association may have a lawyer referral service that can provide you with the names of some lawyers near you who handle these types of matters. In the alternative, you may want to contact the Columbus Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service (telephone number 614-221-4112; web address I am sorry I cannot help you.

Bob Kerpsack

Phone: 614-766-2000

Fax: 614-766-2005

Email: [email protected]


Read more
Answered on 5/24/10, 2:28 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Ohio