Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Pennsylvania

wills and real estate property

My mom owned her deceased mothers home. when my mom recently passed away the lawyer advised my stepdad to put the deed in his name or it would have to be sold to pay my moms debts. She wanted my brother and I to have that house.It's set up now that when my stepdad passes away the house will go to my brother and I. BUT, Now it's in discussion to sell the property, my stepdad claims he will give us each no less than $20,000 each from the profit. Should we get this in writing and notorized or have a lawyer draw up papers promising us monies from the sale? I am afraid that he will sell the house and keep ALL the money. my mom would just roll over if she knew that he did that to us.Where do we stand legally on this matter? What should we do to ensure that we get money from the sale?? All advice is appreciated.

Asked on 11/11/07, 6:17 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Kristofer Kaufmann Torchia & Kaufmann, L.L.C.

Re: wills and real estate property

As long as all the administrative procedures have been properly done with respect to the estate of your grandmother as well as your mother then I would defintely recommend that you obtain something in writing relfecting your stepdad's offer to pay you from the proceeds of the sale. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me directly. All intitial consultations are free. Best of luck.

Read more
Answered on 11/12/07, 4:40 pm
Glenn Brown Real World Law, P.C.

Re: wills and real estate property

Did your mother have a will?

Was an estate opened when your mother died? By what authority was title transferred to your stepdad?

Something is missing in your description of events.

Good luck to you.

Read more
Answered on 11/11/07, 7:47 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Pennsylvania