Legal Question in Family Law in Pennsylvania

We took my granddaughter and her boy friend in when she was pregnant and had no where to go. She was working, he was not. The baby was born and is now over 1 year old. Neither parent is working or paying anything to help out with bills. We want to give them an ultimatum, they both have to get jobs and pay $300.00 a month or get out. We were told that is not legal, we can not make them leave. We want to know where we stand legally.

Asked on 9/22/22, 6:54 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Matthew Nahrgang Nahrgang & Associates, P.C.

Any occupant of residential real estate may be evicted in one of 2 ways: 1) changing the locks 2) a landlord tenant eviction process. There is case law to the effect that the first option is not permitted even if there is no lease nor rent being paid. Certainly, the second option is the preferred, safest route. That involves handing them a Notice to Quit and, after the time stated on the Notice has expired, filing a landlord tenant complaint with your local magisterial district justice.

I trust this answers your questions but do not hesitate to call or email me on a free initial basis.

Matthew R. Nahrgang, Esquire

35 Evansburg Road, Ste 400

Collegeville, PA 19426

610 489-3041 o

610 489-3042 fax

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 9/28/22, 11:10 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Pennsylvania