Legal Question in Criminal Law in South Carolina

I rent a room and there are three others couples that rent rooms well the law came in and found drugs in one of the others room but took us all to jail the ones that paid rent what can i do

Asked on 4/15/16, 9:04 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Johnston Law Offices of Robert J. Johnston

Best thing you can do is hire a lawyer to deal with the prosecutor. You may have other defenses but the first one that comes to mind is that you had no knowledge of the drugs. It would be necessary for the prosecution to prove you knew about the drugs in order to be convicted. Every case is different and I don't know anything about your case other than the little you wrote, so I can't elaborate. But I can tell you that with a lot of these type cases once one or two people come forward and admit to the drugs that is often enough for the prosecutor to dismiss any remaining charges against other people who very well might not have known about the drugs, or in the alternative, the prosecutor simply doesn't have the necessary evidence that anyone else knew about it. Hope that helps. You really should have a lawyer. It makes a difference. I'm not saying that because I am one. Its just a fact that things will go a lot better with a lawyer than without one. Robert J. Johnston

Read more
Answered on 4/15/16, 1:13 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in South Carolina