Legal Question in Personal Injury in South Carolina

domestic violence

my boyfriend and i who i have lived with for two years got into a fight, he pulled me oout of the truck by my feet and flipped me on the ground. he hit me several times and yanked out hand fulls of my hair. my ten year old son saw the entire incident. as a result i am having neck and back problems. i filed a police report. do i have grounds for a personal injury suit?

Asked on 11/03/08, 9:00 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert Johnston Law Offices of Robert J. Johnston

Re: domestic violence

You have grounds for a law suit. It would be more than just a personal injury suit. You could also sue for Assault and Battery. I'm curious though. You didn't say if he was arrested. That would certainly help a law suit. Please understand that suing people is not always as easy as people think it is. People get judgments all the time. But collecting them is not always that easy. If he is arrested and convicted you would have the right to show up to court and ask the judge to order resititution should you have medical bills. Hope that helps. Robert Johnston.

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 11/03/08, 10:43 pm
Ben Stevens The Stevens Firm, P.A. Family Law Center

Re: domestic violence

You can certainly sue him for his heinous actions. However, whether you will be able to collect the verdict against him is another question. It is important to consider prior to filing suit whether he has insurance or assets.

If you would like additional information about this or related topics, you can visit my personal injury law blog ( or our firm's website ( If I can assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact my office.

Thanks and good luck, Ben Stevens

Read more
Answered on 11/03/08, 10:49 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in South Carolina