Legal Question in Personal Injury in South Carolina

work space violence

When one is attacked by a co-worker at the work site in the victim's space; refuses to fight back for fear of losing job; suffers a broken thumb, injured knee, injured arm; victim is taken to emergency room; attacker is handcuffed and jailed for simple assault $1,800.00 bond set; who is legally responsible for medica/surgical bills?l

Asked on 9/24/08, 7:51 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert Johnston Law Offices of Robert J. Johnston

Re: work space violence

If the person that did the attacking is convicted, then they could be ordered by the sentencing judge to pay restitution which would cover the medical bills. Absent a conviction, and absent the person who did the attacking voluntarily agreeing to pay the bills, then the victim could file a civil suit against him/her. As far as the company being responsibile, an attorney would need more information.

Read more
Answered on 9/24/08, 8:00 pm
Ben Stevens The Stevens Firm, P.A. Family Law Center

Re: work space violence

You should be able to file a workers' compensation claim to cover your injuries if it happened on the job. However, you may able to sue the attacker in the alternative.

Read more
Answered on 9/24/08, 10:11 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in South Carolina