Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Texas

I am a single mother that lost my job 10 days after buying a house (14 months ago!!) and I used to have very good credit. I have now had to quit paying on about 50k worth of debt and my credit is shot (within the last 4-5 months) just so I can keep a roof over our heads and basic living expenses. I have just now taken a job at less than half of what I was making before so I need to know what processes I need to take to file bankruptcy on credit card debt, a couple of medical bills and a furniture account. I own my car outright and receive no child support.

Asked on 10/09/09, 5:11 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Andrew Nichols Law Office of Andrew B. Nichols

You can definitely qualify to file a chapter 7 case and get relief from your debts. Please take a look at my website. Don't be hard on yourself.

Read more
Answered on 10/14/09, 5:26 pm
Rustin Polk

Well, it certainly sounds like you are a good candidate for a Chapter 7 case.

The first step that people usually take is to figure out which lawyer they are going to use. That's a whole process in and of itself. There is a guide to that at

Once you've hired a bankruptcy lawyer, they will take it from there.

You can do the whole thing yourself, without a lawyer. I don't necessarily recommend it because it's so hard-- but it CAN be done. There is an article about that process at and all of the forms are at

Hope this helps get you started.


Rustin Polk

Dallas Bankruptcy Lawyer

Read more
Answered on 10/14/09, 5:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Texas