Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

last name change of children

I live in Iowa and my ex lives in Texas. She has custody of the children and has remarried. She has told the children that their last name is something other than what it ''legally'' is. I have a picture of one of their school bags with this name on it, as well as, they continually tell me their name is ......... I have not consented to a name change and have joint legal custody. She is also insuring them under her new married name. I am ordered to pay insurance, when available, for my children. They obviously can't use insurance under two different names. What can be done about the insurance, and what can be done about her falsely using her new last name with the children?

Asked on 4/04/02, 10:29 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Pfister, Jr. Pfister & Associates

Re: last name change of children

You didnt mention where your original divorce was filed. If in Texas, then Texas still has jurisdiction over the kids. I would be inclinded to bring this to the court's attention through a motion and get it stopped. The children dont need to be confused like this and most courts will not be amused by mom's behavior. YOu may also seek custody if you like, although, we will need more than what you said in your question.

Good Luck

Read more
Answered on 4/07/02, 1:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas