Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

Enforcing Child Support Orders

Divorced in TX and in VA. Have Support orders from VA and TX. Ex from TX walked out of his job (quit) in 1985 when served with wage-garnishment papers, and ''disappeared'' - owes @$60,000.00 back support. Just recently refound him (same area). Other ex moved from VA back to TX after Final Decree. Stays behind on his support as well. I moved to MI and have full custody of both children in question. I need to find out what to do as far as getting the decrees enforced and possibly through my MI county Friend Of the Court office. File a petition to move the orders up here? Three states (VA, MI, TX) and two decrees and no enforcement anywhere. Advice?

Asked on 3/23/02, 12:03 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

John Pfister, Jr. Pfister & Associates

Re: Enforcing Child Support Orders

If you know where they are, you can retain an attorney in the area to collect the arrearage. To do this, the judgments are filed in the county where the men live. A motion to enforce is then filed and served on them. They are brought before the court there and the judgment is enforced as if it were a local judgment.

Call me if you like me to help.

John Pfister


Read more
Answered on 3/23/02, 2:59 pm
James Grissom Law Office of James P. Grissom

Re: Enforcing Child Support Orders

I agrre with Mr. Pfister. Sounds like you would be better off to pursue this matter in TX. I can do this for a contingent fee depending upon the circumstances. If you want my assistance, contact me by e-mail.

Read more
Answered on 3/23/02, 5:11 pm
William Stern William Stern, P.C.

Re: Enforcing Child Support Orders

Yalk to the local friend of the court. They may help you . If not, it is a royal pain because you have to pursue him in the states where he is and where the orders are from.

Read more
Answered on 3/23/02, 5:58 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas