Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

I live in Tx. and my grand daughter lives in West Monroe, La. She is adopted but her adopted daddy and mother is divorced and he doesn't want her.

Ex daughter in law has a new boyfriend, they are planning marrying in May. I have vistation only and the boyfriend say he is sending her to boot camp this summer and she can't come see me. Can they stop my visitation without my knowledge. Please advice.

Asked on 3/31/17, 3:14 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mark Dunn Mark D. Dunn

Whether or not they can "stop your visitation" depends on the specific wording of your order (no two visitation orders are 100% identical), but the answer is probably "no."

or to put it another way: they can't legally stop you from exercising your visitation, but if you don't know where your granddaughter is at the time that you're supposed to pick her up, then you can't put up. If these people deny you your visitation, you have some remedies in the law.

My suggestion is: write them a letter � a paper letter � not an e-mail, not a text message � put a date on the letter, and keep a copy � spend an extra $6 and send it by certified mail, and also send them a copy by regular mail in case they refuse to sign the green card for certified mail � in the letter, tell them clearly that you are going to come pick up your granddaughter at the date and time specified in the order, and you expect them to have her ready to go.

Keep it simple and direct, and be courteous.

And then follow up by showing up to get the child just as you said you would. If the child isn't there, or if nobody comes to the door, or if they refuse to give you your granddaughter, you should go talk to a lawyer. And mention Chapter 42 of the Family Code when you talk to him.

Read more
Answered on 4/04/17, 7:01 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas