Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Texas

I rented my home to my friends ex-husband, with the understanding that I had to work in Utah and that i will be gone for not sure how long, maybe 1week to 4months or so. I told him that this was with the understanding that it was going to be a one on one roommates situation. I didnt have time to move anything out of the house. I told him that he can have the masterbedroom with 1/2 bath and the other small bedroom. My bedroom stays like it was. That i would come in and stay when i could. He gave me 2 months up front. I left all utilities in my name, i told him that he would be responsible with all utilities. It was agreeded. It turned out that i didn't go to Utah, i got a job here in Houston tx. Now he is saying that he will move out the end of June. And that I am not allowed in my home until he moves out. Can he do that. Nothing in written, just verbally. His kids live there and used my tv's, my bedroom and everything else, from living room furniture, dining, utensils, papertowels and everything else. can he do that.

Asked on 6/10/10, 4:22 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Ryan Bormaster D. Miller & Associates, P.L.L.C.

No. He cannot do that. If there is no written lease agreement you should be able to evict him within about 10 days. However, in 10 days it will be towards the end of June so I don't know if you want to go through the expense. He cannot, however, keep you from your home that you own. I am happy to discuss this with you if you want to give me a call at my office. Ryan B. Bormaster 713-779-3476

Read more
Answered on 6/11/10, 12:46 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Texas