Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Texas


Before my first husband died, we had gone to the Courthouse where we lived and "filed" our wills. Then when he died all the attorney had to do was go to the courthouse and get it so it could be probated! But it's been so long since that happened that I don't remember just how we did it! I have since remarried and want to do the same thing with current wills! Can you tell me exactly where I would go and what the procedure is? We live in Brazoria County in Texas? And is it called something else instead of "filing"?

Thank you,


Asked on 5/15/17, 9:29 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Leon David L. Leon, P.C.

You are just filing the will for safe keeping with the county clerk's office. You can take the ORIGINAL will to the clerk's office, pay a small deposit, and they will index the will for you. People really don't do it all that often any more, as it's kind of a hassle to get it out (you may want to revoke or change it later).

For more information, please visit our website:

Read more
Answered on 5/15/17, 10:53 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Texas