Legal Question in Consumer Law in United Kingdom

Unsatisfactory work carried out by builders

I own a restaurant and decided to improve the restaurant. I made plans to extend the restaurant. In January I contacted the local builders. I required an extension of the back of the restaurant of the kitchen as well as the kitchen in the restaurant. The price agreed to carry out this job was �50,000 to be paid in stages. I did not sign any contracts but before the work was carried out I received a quotation in which I agreed. At the beginning, the builders did tell me to get a surveyor in and have a look at the restaurant. However, I forgot to do this. The builders did not mention if I had a surveyor in to have a look and just carried out the work.

In September the work was completed. 4 weeks after the work had been completed one of the external walls fell down. An estimate of �18 000 has been damaged in the restaurant. I phoned the builders, they had a look again at the restaurant and told me �15,000 was required in order to repair the wall.

A structural engineer came to the restaurant and stated that the foundations of the wall were not made deep enough. When the wall fell down one of the staff at the restaurant was also injured. It is also the busiest time for me at the restaurant.

Asked on 11/19/08, 7:33 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrew Dutton Legal -Zone

Re: Unsatisfactory work carried out by builders

This must be a substantial claim against the builder who it would seem was negligent in not building sufficient foundations for the wall. Providing that you have expert evidence to substantiate the negligence you should write a formal letter of claim requesting that the builders pass it to their insurers and advise that if your claim is not settled you will issue court proceedings. In the letter you must substantiate the negligence and loss suffered. If you need help with this let us know.

Andrew Dutton

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 11/21/08, 6:15 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in United Kingdom