Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

Is it illegal to change the birth father on a birth certificate to the adopted father's name.

My ex husband adopted my daughter after she was an adult. I just found out he has had her birth certificate altered naming himself as her birth father without my knowledge. I am mortified. This is a lie. How can someone steal someone's genealogy and rewrite history to suit their own desires.

Asked on 12/20/13, 3:05 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

You should be able to petition your local circuit court to have your

daughter's birth record corrected to reflect the true facts

concerning her birth father.

Read more
Answered on 12/21/13, 8:09 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia