Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

I signed over my son to my mother before she passed away in order to get my life back together because at the time I wasn't working, I had nowhere to live and no real direction on how to acquire it. After that I still lived with my mom and son and got a job and took the best care of them that I could until my mom's boyfriend tricked her into kicking me out despite it. I lived for a few months in the streets before I turned to my boyfriend and he let me live with him for two years. We moved from the shanty town that I had worked in [as a hardee's employee] and moved to a more city-like area where I could get a better job. However, in the time that it took , I was so angry that I didn't visit anyone or anything until I had gotten somewhat more together in my life. When I first moved back to the city where my son was the very 1st thing I did was try to visit him however I was unaware that my son had been living and had been signed over to my step-father[ who in the past had abused me when I was small] this alarms me. He and his now-wife , both have questionable reports on their history regarding the law and I am not confortable with my son being there. I am also not comfortable with the fact that no one contacted me about the signing over because I would have loved to have had my son signed back with me. Now I am in a better spot in my life, I am going to college for information technology, I work a warehouse job that pays good enough and I am in the process of moving to a better side of town . All of this I am doing because I want my son back but the custodial holders are being really stingy with how much visitation time I get with my son, as in they always try to go somewhere else with my son after I've only seen him for like 15mins. I want my son back with me, they even didn't tell him that I was his mother, what do I do?

Asked on 2/13/19, 3:06 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

sheryl shane sheryl shane, attorney at law

You can hire and attorney and show that it is in the best interests of the child to live with you and that there has been a significant change of circumstances since the last court order. Start gathering proof. Keep trying to have more contact with the child and get more involved. Perhaps request a guardian ad litem be appointed to the case to help show the Judge what is best for the child. But understand the guardian would represent child rather than you. Good luck. Attorney Sheryl Shane.

Read more
Answered on 2/25/19, 10:13 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia