Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Virginia

How can I get out of my contract?

I signed a contract with my daughters daycare center on Monday August 12 2019. I informed the daycare center August23. That I was no longer able to participate in the program. In the contract it states that I have until May 2019 to give written consent that I no longer wanted to participate in the program. The center announced on July 31 2019 that they were accepting applicants. So prior to me getting the contract the opportunity to reconsider had already passed... so I am now forced to pay that years tuition.

Asked on 8/23/19, 5:30 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonathon Moseley Jonathon A. Moseley

You should deliver a WRITTEN letter cancelling the contract.

Even if they say that you have breached the contract, they would have to prove how much money they have lost.

Because they did not actually care for your daughter, it did not cost them anything because your daughter did not actually go to the center.

So the judge -- if they sue -- would almost certainly rule that (1) maybe you broke the contract but (2) their "damages" are $0 because they did not have to do anything or spend any money taking care of your daughter so the judge would award them "nominal damages" of $1

Read more
Answered on 8/29/19, 5:13 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Virginia