Legal Question in Immigration Law in Washington

Hi, i saw your contact from internet.please help me out in few questions.I am a green card holder in United States and planning on getting married soon. My fiancÚ is currently living in Canada as a worker but she also holds visitor visa( B1/B2) to United States for 10 years. Would it be quicker for her to get permanent residence if we get married in States or should we apply for her residence from Canada? How much time it will take for her to get ssn and greencard?



Asked on 8/18/14, 10:15 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

Although it is more expedient for the spouse of a U.S. citizen to adjust status while present in the United States, they cannot/should not enter the U.S. as a "visitor" if they are already married to the U.S. citizen & have "immigrant intent".

Applying for a greencard as the spouse of a U.S. citizen through "consular processing" could take up to one year, whereas adjusting status in the United States usually takes a few months.

Read more
Answered on 8/19/14, 12:09 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Washington