Legal Question in Immigration Law in Washington

SSI benefits after I retire to Canada

I have been living in the U.S. (am a Canadian Citizen) since 1983. I have a permanent green card through marriage but want to retire to Canada in the next 10 years. Can I collect SSI when I'm 65 and no longer residing in the U.S.?

Asked on 10/24/07, 1:30 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

James J. White, attorney Law Offices of Smith & White, PLLC

Re: SSI benefits after I retire to Canada

You'll need to contact the SS administration to be certain but I'm under the impression that non-citizens are not entitled to such benefits. Perhaps you need to naturalize? Dual-citizenship is allowed.

At your service,

Read more
Answered on 10/25/07, 3:43 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Washington