Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Washington

My husband and I live in a top floor apartment. We have consistently been receiving complaints from our downstairs neighbor abut walking too loudly. We don't wear shoes in the apartment, and have even taken to tiptoeing, but no matter what we do she complains. Recently she says she can hear the floorboards creaking and that is the problem, but we can't control that at all, the floorboard creak just by leaning on them. Now she is trying to get us to move to another unit in the complex, and the apartment office is threatening to force us if the issue isn't resolved. I don't really want to pack up everything and move it, but I also want to live normally in my home. Is it legal for them to harass us like this? Can they make us move?

Asked on 6/29/14, 3:56 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonathan Baner Baner & Baner

Probably not, but it depends. You cannot "unreasonably" interfere with quiet enjoyment of others.

Read more
Answered on 6/29/14, 8:24 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Washington