Legal Question in Personal Injury in Washington

Auto Injury

In 12006, a drunk driver who drove a 2007 Ford Escape belonging to a local company, rare-ended my vehicle. When I got out of my car to see the extent of damage done, the drunk driver started fleeing the scene of the accident. In the process, he drove over my leg; fracturing/breaking it in the process. He fled the scene. Three days later, he committed SUICIDE. Like I've said, he was driving a company vehicle. So in this case what do I do? Who do I go after now that he killed himself? Is the company which own the vehicle responsible for my injury?

Asked on 4/29/07, 7:23 pm

4 Answers from Attorneys

Merry Kogut Key Peninsula Law

Re: Auto Injury

I agree with the other attorneys who responded. But going through Law Guru is not the best way to find an attorney. Be sure to get references; compare how much everyone charges; find out whether they move on the case or procrastinate; etc. After all, when you hire an attorney, you are hiring a very expensive employee, and you should check references and background just as you would with any other person you hire.

Read more
Answered on 4/30/07, 1:16 pm
Ryan Nute Myers & Company, P.L.L.C.

Re: Auto Injury

The driver's employer may well be liable. Have you contacted the employer, its insurance company and your own insurance company? I would be happy to discuss this with you.

Ryan C. Nute

Myers & Company, P.L.L.C.

206.398.1188 ext. 104

Read more
Answered on 4/29/07, 7:25 pm
Christopher Davis Davis Law Group, P.S.

Re: Auto Injury

I'm sorry to hear about your accident. If the driver is now deceased, you then have a claim against his estate. You may have to file a special claim form to put the estate on notice. If probate has not been started, then you may need to start the process by filing some papers with the court. If this was a company vehicle, then there is a good chance that there is a commercial policy (i.e., $1 Million in coverage) which is good. The driver's company may also be liable as employer, if the driver was acting within the scope of his employment. I'd be happy to answer more questions or talk about your claim further. Please feel free to call me.

Sincerely, Chris Davis

Read more
Answered on 4/29/07, 7:53 pm
James Harris Paglialunga & Harris, PS

Re: Auto Injury

I am very sorry to hear about what happened to your leg. To answer your question, there are a number of potential defendants to sue, and a lawyer should investigate all of them. You could go after the company that employed him, the driver's estate, and potentially your own UIM insurance (in case the other two polices were not enough to fully compensate you.) Also, if he was overserved in a bar, you could potentially go after them as well. If you would like me to investigate these claims for you or answer other questions you may have about your case, feel free to contact me.

Read more
Answered on 4/29/07, 9:27 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Washington