Legal Question in Criminal Law in Wisconsin

My 16 year old daughter was cited for shoplifting less than $20.00 worth of goods. No excuses about that. She was charged with a misdemeanor a in Wisconsin. The court dat is not for some weeks. Is there anything we can do to prevent this from adversely affecting her future employment and college opportunities? We can't afford an attorney so any help is sincerely appreciated.

Asked on 6/23/17, 10:20 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

JAY Nixon nixon law offices

Yes, if your daughter is in circuit court (i.e., juvenile court) you should immediately take her to your local WI State Public Defender's Office. They are a state government agency which only represents low income people (not likely a problem for most 16 year olds). Their lawyers are very experienced, and might be able to get a her a deal which would spare from having a permanent record, assuming that she plays her cards right by going to school, counseling, etc., and stays out of trouble in the future. The SPD does not accept municipal court cases, however, so you would need to retain private counsel to negotiate such an arrangement if the case is there.

This answer is not legal advice and I am not your lawyer just because I answered it on a public website. Feel free to view my past answers to similar questions on AVVO at . Also see 15 years of past answers at and . Answers may contain attorney advertising materials and both questions and answers may be may also be used in attorney advertising.

Read more
Answered on 6/23/17, 11:39 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Wisconsin