Legal Question in Criminal Law in Wisconsin

I met a guy at a party who had told me in person and text message that he was 19, I'm 26. I hit it and quit it. Then boy started calling me claiming I gave him chlamydia. I went and got checked out and I'm clear, no stds. Now this boy called me and said ' you gave me chlamydia, and by the way I'm 16. Either you give me $100 or I call the cops.' He has also sent me multiple text messages saying this. I am having such emotional and mental stress from all of this. What do I do? Can I file blackmail charges? I honestly had no idea he was only 16.

Asked on 11/19/16, 9:53 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

JAY Nixon nixon law offices

This request for money in return for not reporting a crime is classic extortion, which would be illegal and potentially a felony for the minor. However, by filing a complaint, you too would be admitting to a misdemeanor crime, for which you might actually be charged, even though he too might be charged. If the suspense is ruining your life however, a better approach might be to attempt to address the issue through professional counseling, since reporting may not help you emotionally even if you do go forward with the charges. Then, after resolving your own problems, you might be able to make a better decision on whether or not it is worth the trouble of doing anything further about this, opposed to writing it off to experience and using this lesson to avoid such problems in the future.

. Answering this question does not make me your attorney, but you can post comments here for clarifications, etc. You can also see past answers to similar questions on AVVO at . Also see 15 years of past answers at and . Answers may contain attorney advertising materials and both questions and answers may be may also be used in attorney advertising.

Read more
Answered on 11/24/16, 4:19 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Wisconsin