Legal Question in Criminal Law in Wisconsin

I was recently charged with domestic battery. I am not to have contact with the accuser. I have two dogs that I had before our relationship began. She will not let me see them. What do I need to do to be able to see my dogs.

Asked on 1/23/19, 1:34 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

JAY Nixon nixon law offices

You need to get a lawyer before you get the dogs, since you could easily wind up in jail if this issue is not handled correctly. Contacting her yourself will be a violation of your bond and immediately land you back in jail if the police are called, but your lawyer is allowed to contact her legally. Domestic violence related convictions these days will tend to make you unemployable in the future, so resolving this case favorably first needs to be your first priority. Your lawyer will probably tell you that he needs to serve and schedule a motion before you judge to modify your bond addressing the dog issue, probably by using a neutral 3rd person intermediary.

Answering this question does not make me your attorney, nor make your information confidential, but you can post comments here for clarifications, etc. You can see my past answers to similar questions on AVVO , or see over fifteen years of past answers at ,, or Answers are not intended as legal advice, may contain attorney advertising materials and may, along with questions, be used in public attorney advertising materials, unless you request otherwise. All answers and questions on public websites are public documents which do not enjoy attorney client privilege.

Read more
Answered on 1/25/19, 1:00 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Wisconsin