Legal Question in Criminal Law in Wisconsin

my son is being charged with reckless endangerment. The other person came after him with a pipe, while in his car. Road rage incident. my son attempted to get away, but ended up hitting the other guy. video clearly shows my son did not get out of the car, but attempted pull, because he was scared. This happened in Milwaukee Wi. What can happen in this situation. He can't afford lawyer. Will the courts assign him a public defender?

Asked on 6/13/18, 5:31 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

JAY Nixon nixon law offices

The worst that could happen would be your son going to prison for many years, if he is convicted of this major felony. Self defense or provocation are always tricky at best, so going to a jury trial on those theories is always a crap shoot at best, although that sounds like that may be exactly what he will have to do if the DA does not make a realistic offer. If he is unemployed and indigent, he will be eligible for a public defender, but if not, might need to do the best he can with available funds. So, if you really care about him, assist him in retaining an experienced criminal lawyer as soon as possible.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else's, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others. Answering this question does not make me your attorney or entitle your information to attorney/client privilege, but you can post comments here for clarifications, etc. You can also see past answers to similar questions on AVVO , or see over fifteen years of past answers at . See 15 years of past answers at Answers may contain attorney advertising materials and may, along with questions, be used in attorney advertising materials. All answers and questions on public websites are public documents which do not enjoy attorney client privilege. .

Read more
Answered on 6/14/18, 1:30 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Wisconsin