Legal Question in Family Law in Wisconsin

i carried over 146,000 in irs debt from a prior sole proprietor buisness in 2003,2004 2005 2006

for withholding taxes for my employees in a 2009 divorse decree my wife assumed half the 146,000 but filed for injured spouse leaving me with a full 100% wage levy placed in august 2013 i now have been placed in contempt of court for failure to pay child support what can i do according to wi law

Asked on 1/09/14, 2:37 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Kowalski Kowalski Family Law, LLC

Absolutely, you should call an experienced family lawyer to address this issue. You may be able to avoid contempt in several ways, depending in part on the language in the judgment. If you were found in contempt by a court commissioner, you have the right to a "de novo" hearing (a form of appeal), but you must usually request it within a very short time after the hearing. You may also wish to consider reopening the judgment since it appears it's been changed significantly due to the innocent spouse. You can also consider filing to decrease support. I would be happy to provide a more in-depth consult than can be addressed here.

Read more
Answered on 1/09/14, 2:49 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Wisconsin