Legal Question in Personal Injury in Wisconsin

When backing out of my driveway this morning, I bumped into a car across the alley from me. I am not sure if there was any damage. There is no dent or paint transfer of any kind, but the bumper looks slightly loose. However, this is an older-looking, rusted car. What should I do? If I really did any damage I want to come forward and pay for it, but I don't want to end up paying to replace something I didn't do.

Asked on 12/08/10, 8:03 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonathan Safran Samster, Konkel & Safran, S.C.

As far as an ethical opinion, I think that you should take the high road and put a note on the car or figure out the owner and contact him/her. Given the fact of no damage to your car, I would probably photograph your car and maybe the other car, where there might be some damage, to document it for the future and insure no argurment as to damage that you did not cause. The other party will have to prove that any damage was caused by your "bump." Depending upon if any claim is being made or not, you can then decide to pay it on your own or involve your insurance company.

Read more
Answered on 12/20/10, 8:18 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Wisconsin