India  |  Consumer Law

I had got a Vodafone 3G connection for monthly rent of Rs. 250 in which I got 1gb data download free and my dynamic credit limit was Rs. 2500. I paid the a security deposit of Rs. 250 at the time of taking connection. I paid the 1st bill of Rs. 250. After 4-5 days, I mistakenly downloaded a file of 2.5 GB and the total usage by then reached to approx. 4gb. I received a call that day about over usage and rep told me that my current unbilled amount has reached to Rs. 6,800. I told them that if my credit limit is Rs. 2500 how can you let my bill reach to Rs. 6800 and directed him to immediately deactivate the services. Next morning when I called customer care, they said the unbilled usage has reached to Rs. 7,500 whereas I didn't use internet between the two calls.

On receiving the bill, I paid Rs. 2,500 out of Rs. 6700 as that was my credit limit. They didn't even adjust the Rs. 250 security deposit in the final bill which I directed them in my first email when I received the call from Vodafone. Now they are saying that they will be following the collection procedure.

Please let me know if I will be liable to pay the amount over and above my credit limit and what legal action I can take if they work through any recovery agency.