India  |  Civil Litigation

My mobile phone, cash, driving license, credit card and few other valuables were stolen. I went to the police station and gave a written complaint with all the details. Police gave me enough trouble by asking for various supporting documents like mobile bill, re-write the complaint etc. They also started questioning my qualification and profile mentioning that the complaint did not have margin, my age, father's name etc. I had to make 4 visits before they accepted my complaint and gave me a sealed and signed copy as acknowledgement the next day.

1) As I have given a written complaint and received the acknowledgement, is this same as FIR?

2) If it is not same as FIR, is it better to insist for an FIR or it does not matter? Also, is it mandatory for police to register FIR based on my complaint and act on it or should I insist for this?

3) How do I ensure they are acting on this? Would it make sense to file an RTI after couple of weeks asking for the action taken based on my complaint?

4) For the misbehavior of police, is there any place where I can report it?