India  |  Employment Law

i am newly hired professor (fresher) in one of colleges in chandigarh , on hiring they took cheque of 20000 , they said they will give it back if i serve them notice period of 2 months , i was hired on 1 september 2013 and few days back my father turned severely ill following which i cant continue my job i told them i can join from next semester they said they will tell me about their decision after 10 days , now after 10 days date becomes 29 september , would they encash that checque because they didnt asked me to serve notice period of 2 months or i shud cancel payment of that checque? why are they not asking me to serve notice period of 2 months?

they made me sign an affidavit on stamp paper where i agree to pay them amount of 20000 if i dont serve my notice period

but if i dont serve notice period ( due to fathers ilness ) am i still bound to pay 20000? and if i cant pay so is it necessary to serve notice period , i am ready for it