Legal Question in Criminal Law in Alabama

I got caught shoplifting from a Walmart in Alabama. I went to jail and a few days later got something in the mail saying if I pay $200 they will drop charges and I will get a letter back. I paid the $200 and haven't heard anything back; my court date is in a week. I haven't talked to any lawyers. What should I do?

Asked on 11/01/12, 8:05 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

C. Terry Gregg, Jr. Law Offices of Terry Gregg, LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I know what letter you are referring to if you mean the collections firm from Florida. From my understanding, the $200 is a settlement for Wal-Mart not to pursue a $200 statutory recovery fee they are entitled to as a matter of civil law.

This has nothing to do with the criminal penalties but only the amount of restitution you might owe. The criminal charges may be dropped by Wal-Mart if you paid that fee but you still may be prosecuted by the District Attorney or Municipal Court. Wal-Mart cannot force a government agency to drop criminal charges once they are instituted.

Read more
Answered on 11/02/12, 1:06 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Alabama

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88683 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now